Therapy and assessment rates depend on the length and complexity of the services provided,
ranging from brief therapy sessions for medication maintenance** to extended therapy sessions
of two or more hours. Such lengthy sessions are not typical but can be very valuable in dealing
with complex issues/situations, especially involving multiple individuals and/or family members.
The Intake Process combines diagnostic assessment, interview, case formulation and discussion
of treatment goals and options. You will be asked to complete some forms and questionnaires
prior to the initial session at the office which typically takes two to three hours and includes the
- Completion of additional forms and paperwork needed.
- Computer-assisted assessment with me (Dr. Speier) present to answer questions, while I review/score the assessment materials you have already completed.
- I review the computer test(s) results, highlighting main points & noting areas to explore or clarify.
- We then discuss your current concerns, symptoms you are experiencing and their impact, your personal and family history, and other background information.
- Next I integrate and summarize the main issues and factors as I understand them, and provide a preliminary diagnosis, if appropriate
- We then discuss treatment options, intial areas of focus, and therapeutic strategies.
- Throughout this process, I encourage questions and feedback from you.
Payment is due at the time of the session.
Cash, check and all major credit cards are accepted for payment.
INSURANCE AND OTHER THIRD-PARTY PAYORS
Please check your insurance coverage first to see if you have mental health benefits. If you have not met your deductible, you will pay for all services at 100% of the insurance contract rate until the full amount. of your deductible has been met. After that, depending on your policy, you may pay co-insurance (a percentage of the charge, usually 10-20%), a flat co-pay or nothing for the remainder of your insurance calendar year.
Note: Dr. Speier is not on any insurance panels except for BCBS PPO. She also accepts Medicare and private pay. State employees
with a BCBS-managed HMO plan may be covered the same as under the PPO provider contract
For other HMO plans, Dr. Speier would most likely be considered to be out-of-network. In that case, the BCBS HMO plans will provide greatly reduced to no coverage for treatment with Dr. Speier
If you have insurance, whether Dr. Speier is in- or out-of-network, we will check the following:
- The amount of your deductible and how much has been met
- Any limitations on session frequency, length of sessions and so forth
- The amount due by you for your copay or co-insurance for a routine therapy session (60 min.)
- Whether referral from or collaboration with your primary care physician is required.
Dr. Speier is a Medicare provider. Many secondary insurances reimburse part of the co-pay.
If you do not show up for your scheduled therapy appointment, and you have not notified the office at least 24 hours in advance, you are required to pay the full cost of the session. Insurance does not pay for missed appointments. This policy is included in the policy and procedures contract which must be signed prior to beginning the intake session.
**As a Medical Psychologist; Dr. Speier can prescribe medications for emotional, mental, and behavioral disorders,
and for any consequent side effects from those medications. She is not licensed to prescribe any type of narcotic.